Silverchem are proudly South African and a “world class” manufacturing operations that will meet all your “precious metal chemical product” requirements in several areas of industry.
Our qualified team of engineers and chemists are focused on providing quality products complimented with excellent customer service.
Our organisation is a member of the Responsible Jewelry Council and committed to sourcing our metals according to there guidelines. We instill strict adherence and commitment to best in quality, health and safety and environmental standards.
With changing requirements we understand customers require tailor made products to suite their needs and our focus is on partnering with you to achieve this. Our aim is to collaborate with customers to fulfil specific needs through our association with Mintek ISO Class 5 certified laboratories.
SILVERCHEM MISSION STATEMENT
To be the manufacture of choice for customers seeking “best in class” precious metal chemical products, compounds and value added products, based on the principles of :
- Technical excellence
Silverchem has an in-house testing facility dedicated to ensuring we meet the highest standards of quality. We adopt a number of different technologies such as AAS (Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry), UV Spectrometry Titrimetric analysis as well as various other techniques. Standards and procedures are rigorously enforced to ensure that all quality specifications as required by the customer are complied with.
This is achieved without compromising safety or any detrimental effect on the environment.
Silverchem has its origin in Rand Refinery based in Germiston, South Africa.
Originally focused on sales around the world of gold potassium cyanide and related products, the portfolio has been expanded to include products manufactured from silver and platinum group elements ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium and platinum.
SILVERCHEM PRODUCTS ARE USED IN A WIDE RANGE OF INDUSTRIAL APPLICATIONS SUCH AS :
• Photographic film
• Mirrors and glass coating
• Catalyst for specific applications
• Staining for elections
• Analytical chemistry reactions
• Water purification
• Electroplating and jewellery
• Medical, bactericides, wound dressings, personal care, sanitation, hygiene and others.
Silverchem, are based in Spartan, Johannesburg, located near our international airport, OR Tambo, making shipping and courier options convenient. Packaging is tailor made to meet customer requirements as well as regulatory safety requirements.
One of Silverchem’s differentiators is that we focus on ‘urban mining’ where we make precious metal chemicals through processing e waste and recovering these precious metals.
SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT E WASTE
- 80 to 85% of electronic products are discarded in landfills or incinerators, and release toxins into the air
- e waste represents 2% of America’s trash in landfills, but it equals 70% of overall toxic waste
- Americans dump cell phones containing over $60 million in gold and silver every year
- e waste is still the fastest growing municipal waste stream in America according to the EPA
- it takes 245 kg of fossil fuel, 22 kg of chemicals, and 1,5 tonnes of water to manufacture one computer and monitor
- 20 to 50 million metric tons of e waste are disposed of worldwide every year
- only 12,5% of e waste is currently recycled
- for every 1 million cell phones that are recycled 16 tonnes of copper, 350 kg of silver, 195 kg of gold, and 15 kg of palladium can be recovered
- indicative 80 000 tonnes of e waste is generated per annum in South Africa